Learning at this level is likely to be for children in P5, P6 and P7 but it can be earlier or later for some. It is the role of the teacher/facilitator to decide when a child or group should be learning at this level. The learning activities which follow relate to learning at this level. There are also some suggestions for additional resources and learning. When using any of the material posted here please use the feedback form to share your experience of using it and any ideas for improvement.
Other key points about the learning activities here:
- We are redrafting material based on feedback. Where you see V2 or V3 for example, this means version 2, version 3 etc. When you comment on material please say which version you refer to.
- To support flexibility in delivery no timings are offered for the draft learning activities described here, the class/group may enjoy a lot of conversation or to spend time on related activities. In feedback, let us know whether this is helpful or not.
- The Activity Plans are not a script, they are a suggested approach with some proposed activities to support teaching and learning. If you are a confident practitioner, you might dip in and out of the activities. If you feel you will benefit from more of a structure, then you can use what is suggested. This may depend on the topic. Use feedback to let us know how you approached the learning and whether the activity plan provided what you needed.
- The content is
organisedby Curriculum for Excellence Level. As the teacher/facilitator decisions need to be made about when to introduce and deliver a topic. Within a Level you may want to re-visit content, we would like to know if the resource material will help you do that. In terms of progression across Levelsthis is supported by learning activities that address the same topic or theme and provide some balance of refreshing and building on learning – for example on topics like My Body or Friends and Friendship. Again, use feedback to let us know what is helpful and what could be better.
- We are actively seeking more digital content. It is not always easy to get copyright permissions, but if you know of good films, animations etc. let us know.
- To use the slides provided, first download/save as and then open from your download folder/desktop location.
- While we do all we can to ensure content is accessible across Local Authorities, there may be local firewalls that block some weblinks.
Thank you for being part of this exciting year. We look forward to your feedback.
- Learning at Home (Second Level information for parents and carers)
- Learning at School (Second Level information for parents and carers)
- Names of parts of my body
- 2.1.1 Names of parts of the body (Activity plan) V3
- 2.1.1 My body – Names of parts of the body and their functions (Slides) V3
- 2.1.1 Girl and Boy Body Diagram Activity (Handout 1) V3
- 2.1.1 Male Sex organs (Handout 2) V3
- 2.1.1 Female Sex organs (Handout 3) V3
- 2.1.1 Male and Female Sex organs unlabelled (Handout 4) V3
- My body is changing (inc menstruation)
- It’s my body and I like it
- Feelings and puberty
- Personal hygiene
- What is a friend?
- Making and Keeping Friends
- Online-Offline Friends
- What is love?
- Being attracted to someone
- My talents and abilities
- When I feel sad or worried
- Boys, Girls
- We are all one of a kind
- What is transgender?
- 2.6 Understanding human sexuality (Activity plan)
- 2.6 Understanding Human Sexuality (Slides)
- Human Sexuality Flower Activity Resources:
- Where do we go online?
- Being smart online
- When I Feel Safe / Feel Unsafe
- My 5 trusted individuals
- Physical Abuse and Neglect
- Sexual abuse
- What is consent?
- My body is mine
- 2.12 How human life begins – pregnancy – birth (Activity plan) V3
- 2.12 How human life begins – pregnancy – birth (Slides) V3
- 2.13 How adults plan and prevent pregnancy – Contraception and Condoms (Activity plan) V2
- 2.13 How adults plan and prevent pregnancy – Contraception and Condoms (Slides) V2
- What does a parent/carer need to know and do?
- If I were a parent or carer
Click the link to download Curriculum for Excellence Experiences/Outcomes and Benchmarks for RSHP at Second Level – SECOND LEVEL (Experiences Outcomes and Benchmarks)