Learning at this level is likely to be for young people in S1 to S2, but it can be earlier or later for some. It is the role of the teacher/facilitator to decide when a young person or group should be learning at this level. The learning activities which follow relate to learning at this level. There are also some suggestions for additional resources and learning. When using any of the material posted here please use the feedback form to share your experience of using it and any ideas for improvement.
Other key points about the learning activities here:
- The activities described are designed (approximately) for a 50-minute class/session.
- The Activity Plans are not a script, they are a suggested approach with some proposed activities to support teaching and learning. If you are a confident practitioner, you might dip in and out of the activities. If you feel you will benefit from more of a structure, then you can use what is suggested. This may depend on the topic. Use feedback to let us know how you approached the learning and whether the activity plan provided what you needed.
- The content is organised by Curriculum for Excellence Level. As the teacher/facilitator decisions need to be made about when to introduce and deliver a topic. In terms of progression across Levels this is supported by learning activities that address the same topic or theme and provide some balance of refreshing and building on learning – for example on topics like Social Media or Gender or Being a Parent/Carer. Again, use feedback to let us know what is helpful and what could be better.
- We are actively seeking more digital content. It is not always easy to get copyright permissions, but if you know of good films, animations etc. let us know.
- To use the slides provided, first download/save as and then open from your download folder/desktop location.
- While we do all we can to ensure content is accessible across Local Authorities, there may be local firewalls that block some weblinks.
Thank you for being part of this exciting year. We look forward to your feedback.
- Names of parts of my body
- How my body changes as I grow
- Feeling emotional
- Looking after myself and others
- The influence of popular culture
- My real body/body confidence
- How people have sex?/Having sex for the first time
- Making my choices/Waiting for sex (delay)
- Consent: What consent means in a relationship
- Consent: The age of consent
- Boys, girls and stereotypes
- Being non-binary or transgender
- Grooming and sexual exploitation
- Partner control, coercion and violence
- Me online/How we use social media
- Sending and sharing images
- 3.10 Pornography (Activity plan)
- 3.10 Pornography (Slides)
- 3.10 Pornography (Activity prop)
- 3.10 Pornography (Handout)
- Why would I ask for help/asking for help/how confidentiality works
- Important things about child development
- What babies need/the best start in life
- If I were a parent or carer
Click the link to download Curriculum for Excellence Experiences/Outcomes and Benchmarks for RSHP at Third Level – THIRD LEVEL (Experiences Outcomes and Benchmarks)